Mulhurst History

Mulhurst Lutheran Church Camp Association was incorporated as a Society on October 29, 1988 to carry on the operation of a “Bible Camp” established in 1945 on the eastern shores of Pigeon Lake.

 

1945 - February 18: Motion by Jack Hennig that Luther Leaguers of Alberta establish their own camp. Several pastors were appointed to find a suitable location. Nine acres were purchased on Pigeon Lake from George Mulligan for $1000.

1946 - The Luther League Bible Camp site was dedicated to the service of God on July 21, 1946.

1947 - Construction went full steam ahead, beginning with a lodge, known as “the Red Barn”.

1948 - Second adjoining parcel of land, 15.3 acres, was purchased from Mr. Mulligan, again for $1000. A kitchen with a bedroom was built to the north of “the barn.”

1947-52 - Cooks worked on a volunteer basis. The camp was used for only two weeks in summer, teaching leadership courses to young people.

1951 - Three cabins were built to the south for the boys and two larger to the west for the girls. A dining hall was attached to the north side of the kitchen.

1953 - More camps were added to the program, up to 6 weeks, with more cooks volunteering. Leadership courses continued to be held. Resource people were brought in from as far away as the United States.

1955 - Pastor N. Gloeckler purchased a bell for the Camp in Germany.

1959 - The Cooks Cabin was built, a quiet spot for rest and relaxation.

1963 - A telephone was installed.

1964 - May 25, 1964 electricity came to camp.

1966 - 128.9 acres of land was purchased across the road from the camp for $8100 which would serve well for Out Post Camps.

1967 - Project ’67. When Canada celebrated its 100th Anniversary, the Western Canada Synod (as it was then called), adopted projects to commemorate the event. One project was to remove the “red barn” at the camp and build a lodge in its place. It was completed in 1968 at a cost of $41,000.

1972 - There was more interest in campgrounds for the whole family so an area was opened to self-contained trailer campers.

1975 - A sauna was built near the lake, thanks to a group of Finns. (In 1996 the sauna burnt down but was replaced the following year.)

1974 - Still under the auspices of the Synod, a five-year development plan was approved which included many improvements and asking for congregational support. Cabins were adopted by congregations, improved and given names.

1977 - A separate Mulhurst Board was organized which resulted in even more improvements such as the sewer system and lagoon and trailer sites equipped with power.

1979 - An equipment shed was built on the farm property, thanks to Roland Baron who saw opportunity to salvage a Lilydale Poultry barn at Devon and reassemble. A full-time caretaker, Chester Lindgren, came in 1979, and volunteered for about 14 years.

1980s - Pastor Jim Chell donated seed money and labour to provide comfortable accommodation (Chell’s Cabin).

1988 - The Camp was turned over to an association of Lutheran congregations for the sum of $1.00. A constituting meeting was held on October 29, 1988 and a new board elected. By the next year thirty congregations had joined the association with financial support. Summer camps flourished and revenues were generated by renting the facilities.

1996 - Thanks to the Baron family, a functional trailer washroom and showerhouse was installed at the campground.

1997 - An Oktoberfest was organized in Edmonton to help fund ministry and became an annual event for many years.

1999 - A Quonset hut was donated, an excellent shelter for family and group functions. With games area, a large bar-b-q and fire pit it makes an ideal picnic area. Twelve new sites were developed in the weekend camping area with gravel pads and electrical outlets.

2004 - The decision was made to replace some of the aging cabins. This resulted in a three-pod design that has bunk space for 42 people.

2005 -- Planning began to celebrate Mulhurst’s 60th Anniversary. It was celebrated in June 2006.

2011 - A dining shelter was built to the south of the lodge with sidewalk to the lodge. A tent was added to the shelter when celebrating the 65th anniversary.

2014 - A much-needed office building was moved on site.

2015 - A roof was added to the office building for aesthetics.

For 70 years people of all ages have learned about God, volunteered, played, supported, worked, and strengthened their faith at Mulhurst Lutheran Camp.

Subscribe to our Newsletter